Piatt Park (est. 1817), is the oldest park Cincinnati. It was established in 1817 and is the oldest park in the town. It stretches two blocks between Elm Street and Vine Street on Garfield Place/8th Street. The park is owned and maintained by the Cincinnati Park Board.
John H. Piatt was a steamboat builder, and his brother, Benjamin M. Piatt, a Federal Circuit Judge gave 1 acre (0.40 ha) to the city on the condition it be used “for a market space”. It was close to the Sixth Street Market and that probably prevented the carrying out of the original wishes. Over 50 years later, on June 19, 1868, the land along Eighth Street was formally dedicated as a park
With Race Street between them, there are two circular reflecting pools. The granite slabs mirror the surrounding urban landscape. A curtain of water flows over the granite whose surfaces are carved symbols for water, air and land. A fountain was dedicated in 1989 in memory of local delicatessen owner Isadore “Izzy” Kadetz, who died in 1983.
John Hopper and Benjamin M were sons of Revolutionary Captain Jacob Piatt. Benjamin McCullough Mahlon Marshall Piatt was the father of General Abram Sanders Piatt. who fought in the Civil War.
A second Piatt Park is in Monroe County, OH, and named after Adda & Isaac Piatt who once owned the land. It was donated in 198479 by descendants John & Shelbia Perry